Monday, December 19, 2005

let's get mystical

One of those weird coincidences happened the other day. One night, I'd been thinking about a girl, Anna M., who I hadn't seen, or thought of, in about ten years. It hadn't really been such a flattering context, actually; I'd been musing about how some people can intimidate you just by the way they look at you, and it reminded me of how she'd always made me feel small when she fixed her penetrating gaze on me.
Anyway, the next morning Harley and I set out for a beach we don't often go to, just for a change of scenery. And lo and behold! As we are leaving, up walks Anna M.
You want to believe you are psychic when these coincidences occur, but my rational mind tells me there's probably a perfectly logical explanation. Such as, I had seen her out of the corner of my eye the day before, perhaps only peripherally as she drove by, and not processed the information until I was thinking about the subject of intimidating people that night, when my mind supplied her image and name.
Anyway, I didn't find her at all intimidating this time round. Might have something to do with the smugness I always enjoy experiencing when I tell tourists that we live here...