Monday, May 24, 2004

that syncing feeling

Guard stood down after toddler in horror trip without mother. That could easily have been me. We caught a few trains last week and had a few close calls. It's not a lot of fun using trains with a stroller, especially one like mine, which is the size of a small car. The trains announce STAND CLEAR DOORS CLOSING! before the train has even come to a stop. There’s huge gaps between the train and the platform that were never there before. Half the stations don’t have lifts or ramps, and you're expected to carry your stroller and baby up hundreds of steps. You can't expect that rail staff will assist you. At one station, a guard hanging out of his Guard’s Compartment nonchalantly turned away when he saw me.
“What do people do?” I said to a ticket lady who had to close her window to come and help me, and she rolled her eyes and said, “They don’t come here.”
I know people talk about stay-at-home mums, but I didn’t realise it was meant quite so literally.